Friday, November 7, 2008

One week as an American

Have we been home one week already?!? The first few days were VERY hard. We had a lot of those thoughts like "what have we gotten ourselves into? Maybe I'm not cut out for this". But now things are calming down. We have more sleep and more good times than bad. Gianna is fast-adapting to life in the States. Yesterday she discovered Cheerios are a delicious take-anywhere snack and added that to her growing list of American foods that she likes. Still when I break out the phở or fried rice her eyes light up like I'm giving her a hot fudge sundae. Yesterday the mattress for her big-girl bed arrived and I bought some pink sheets with green whales to put on it. I don't know if it was the softness of the mattress or the fudgey the whale flannel sheets, but she absolutely loved it. She was jumping on the bed, laughing, caressing the pillow, and last night she slept on it the whole night through. That's the first time she slept all night since Hanoi! God bless that mattress company. And now she has discovered Sesame street on the plasma. She was singing and dancing, having a real good time. I am glad to see her so happy. There are many moments throughout the day that we can see her pain from the days at the orphanage, but it seems like our efforts to make her feel loved and safe are definitely getting through.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Woot!

And I too am fascinated by the letter Y....

Jenni said...

Yeah for you and Dan - it's a tough job, but you're doing swell. You can really see that behind it all, she is a normal toddler. Pretty soon, she'll be dressing like Hannah Montana (just kidding!!).

(ps Had to share since this has never happened - my word verification is actually two real words: bless it).

Anonymous said...

guys, I am sure you are doing just fine and probably better than many. Just chill and take it one day at a time. Too bad the fall is here --- I bet a trip to the waterpark would absolutely make her adore you.

Alex from ISE.

Kirstie said...

And to think of what an important first week as an American she had! You can tell her in a few years how great this week was for American history. (Hope you and Dan had time to vote.)

Shirz903 said...

I am jealous of her! I miss cheerios. When you all come out here I want to introduce her to the awesomeness that is Disney animation as I have all the movies on DVD.