Tomorrow Dan leaves for Germany. He won't be back until Saturday night, so I'll be here alone with Gianna all week. Also tomorrow, I return to work full-time and Gianna will go to day care full-time. Dan is always the one to put Gianna to bed. We give her a bath at 7, brush her teeth, put on her PJ's, then she watches Baby Einstein Lullaby with Dan until she's mostly asleep. Then at 8, he takes her back to the bedroom, puts on her Vietnamese music and tucks her into bed. I'd like to think she will fall asleep eventually no matter what I do, but it seems like two year olds can run on adrenaline long after we've dropped of exhaustion.
This weekend we strapped a fresh Christmas tree to the Jeep and drove it home to decorate. Gianna liked putting the hooks in the ornaments. Just like with the small tree, she preferred to put all ornaments on one branch. She also likes to undecorate the tree, as I found several ornaments on the kitchen floor this morning. 
Today our cousin Justus came over to play with Gianna. Justus is 3 years old and lives in Queens. He is pretty shy like Gianna, but after a while they were both playing with toys, building blocks, and riding the Fisher Price truck. Speaking of shy, Gianna's teachers tell me she has been pretty reserved at daycare. She is the type of kid that likes to stand and watch other kids play rather than be in the middle of all the fun. They have a time where all the kids sit in a circle and sing songs, but so far she won't participate. One time I drove past the school when they were out at recess. I said to myself, awwww, look at that poor kid standing alone in the corner. She's wearing a cute jacket. It looks like Gianna's jacket...wait a second...that's Gianna :-( My heart sunk, but the teachers were motioning her to come play and she wouldn't. She does this at home sometimes too, she likes to watch other people play. As long as she's happy, I won't worry.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Back to work and Dan's in Germany
Posted by
Barbit
at
4:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Barb. David R shared your blog with me when you were still in Vietnam. I've been following your tale ever since. We actually met in David's driveway a while back, I live up the street from the Daves. I've held off commenting until now, I just can't not feel/sense your (absolutely expected) worry about this week as you are "alone" with Gi for the first time.
Take this comment as you will. I give it as a mother of 2 (10 yr old and 12 yr old) as well as a clinical social worker who has worked with children for the past 18 years.
Kids learn how to react to situations from the adults around them. If you convey a sense of being in charge and confidence, she will feel comfortable, secure and ultimately better behaved with a "go with the flow" attitude. I think this time alone for the two of you is a great opportunity for some real mother/daughter bonding time( the first of MANY to come!).
I wish you luck tonight. I'll say a little prayer for the two of you! ENJOY! Remember, we always get "do-overs" when it comes to our kids. They are VERY forgiving of us. Have fun. Tristen
Post a Comment