Tuesday, January 29, 2008

US: don't adopt from Vietnam

The US State Department issued a warning today about adoptions from Vietnam. They also posted a question and answer page that addresses some of the important issues. I don't want to summarize too much or speculate. Basically, they are formally stating what our agency has been telling us for the past few months: the bilateral agreement regarding adoptions between the US and Vietnam is set to expire in Sept. It is unknown how the Vietnamese government will handle adoptions already in process once the Sept deadline passes without a new signed agreement. If we get a referral in Feb, there is still time for us to travel right before the deadline. But they'd better hurry this process up!

When stuff like this happens, I can't help but feel jinxed. When something good happens in life (my new job), its always counterbalanced with something equally as bad (waiting a gagillion years to become parents). Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst, I guess.

Now I'm going to make brownies in preparation for my amaretto ice cream with strawberries and brownie mix-in creation. My Cuisinart ice cream maker knows how to cheer me up! And since Dan is working late tonight, I think I'll eat ice cream for dinner ;-)

1 comment:

Kirstie said...

I am sorry about the adoption situation. I will say a prayer for you and Dan. I am also glad to hear that I am not the only one who eats crazy meals when the husband is not coming home for dinner. I thought that this was REALLY bad... I seem to crave CHOs WAY more than Dave does!