Last week I went to the dentist for some minor work. He pumped me full of lidocaine, which is not good for ppl that have neuromuscular diseases, with the systemic nerve damage and all. Then he must have given my jaw a good wrenching (I have a small mouth and he has big fingers). Since then I have not been able to eat anything solid, or yawn, stick out my tongue, open my mouth wide, or smile without pain. The docs say the TMJ is damaged and it could be weeks to months before I get function back...and eat solid foods. They told me to just cram down as many NSAID's as possible and wait it out. I'm going to make an appointment with my neurologist to see what he says. Hopefully this will all go away on its own before my appointment. People with fatty acid oxidation disorers have to be on a strict low-fat diet and avoid fasting. With this liquid diet, its a challenge to get enough calories without adding fat. Dan found a healthy alternative to Cartman's Weight Gain 4000 at GNC. So if too many pounds fall off, I'll go the Beefcake!!!! route. For now its soupy oatmeal at breakfast, pureed soups for lunch and dinner, and slimfast shakes for snacks. And of course, generous helpings of soft ice cream with Advil sprinkles any time of day.
Update 04/20/08: My jaw is slowly starting to feel better, thank God. After weeks of soup and pain meds, I've graduated to mashed potatoes, beans that aren't pureed, and fine bits of tender chicken. I've also cut back on the pain meds a bit. This has really cut into my carb love affair. What I wouldn't give to eat a bagel...or crunch into an apple...or eat a taco. At least I can still eat ice cream. Actually this jaw injury gives me even more of an excuse to eat ice cream and other frozen treats. Hooray for ice cream!
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
I'm tired of soup
Posted by
Barbit
at
5:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It's a shame your fingers aren't still colored from fingerprinting. Then you could tell people such witty things as: 'You should see the other guy,' and 'Don't mess with me when I'm drunk,' or 'Dan had it coming this time.' Wild tales - not just for toddlers any more.
Hey, did they tell you to ice the joints 10 minutes 10 minutes off? Mortin is the best and you can take up to 800 mg every 6 hours safely. Have your Dr.s find a safe alternative to lidocaine, there are many out there. We have patients who can't use lido. To stretch it open start with 1 or 2 fingers in your mouth flat then turn them up on end over a few days it will open more. Some guys are so mean :( Good luck. Kristen Felling
Thanks for the dental advice Kristen! Next time I'll ask for an alternative to lidocane. It makes me dizzy and nauseous almost immediately and I'm loopy and tired for hours afterwards.
I was icing the joints and taking Aleve, and they also gave me those joint exercises to do. It all seems to be helping somewhat. I guess it will just take time to heal.
My co-worker also suggested muscle relaxers, Soma, works great. Make sure you tell the dentist also, he needs to know this happened and should work with you to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Kristen
We're leaving for vacation tomorrow morning (all inclusive resort!). When we get back, I'll go in and see the dentist no matter if my jaw is feeling better or not. You are right, he needs to know that this happens to his patients and hopefully be more careful in the future. I'll also ask about the muscle relaxant. For now, the NSAID's are helping a lot with the pain, but I still can't chew or smile right, two of my favorite things :-(
I have some Soma at home left over from my neck injury, you can just give me a call and Ill drop it off so you dont have to wait to go through a doc. :) oh and I saw an office for a maxillofacial specialist on route 27 today, not far from you if you need a specialist to help you out.
Hope you managed to have a great time anyway on your vacation!!!!
Georgie
Post a Comment