Friday, April 4, 2008

Letter from Vietnam


Today we received a letter from the child we are sponsoring in Vietnam, Huong Thi. Here's the gist of it in English: "I wish you good health, happiness, and success. I am happy to have you as my sponsor. Can you send me a photo of yourselves so that I can see your faces? What is the weather like in your country? Here it is winter and the weather is very cold, but I have enough warm clothes to wear. I have many good friends here; we love each other like siblings. I am happy to have good friends but happier to have your sponsorship. Thank you for your kindness."

Then she drew a nice face (perhaps Winnie the Pooh or other cartoon bear?) with a hand waving hello and what looks like moons, stars, and hearts in the background. Very cute. If you ever think that your life doesn't have much meaning, well then shell out some $$ and sponsor a child. Your life will mean the world to them. Its interesting she mentions the winter weather. This was one of the colder winters on record in North Vietnam; many people died because they simply did not have warm clothes to wear. This is especially an issue in some of the poorer orphanages. At any rate, I hope we can meet Huong in person when we are in Hanoi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really sweet! And it's definitely Pooh, for sure. :)